Forever Enchanted

A blog by Kayla - dreamer, writer, wannabe novelist

Monday, October 29, 2007

Why I love the Red Sox!

Last night was just, WOW. Again…they did it a few years ago after how many decades upon decades of losing, and then they did it last night AGAIN!

I love the Red Sox because Boston is my original hometown. I spent my first decade there, and when it comes to sports in Boston, it's all about the Red Sox, and you get indoctrinated at a young age. I've got all these cool Red Sox memories. Like when I'd go to synagogue with my family in Kenmore Square, (where we'd walk close enough to see Fenway on our way there and back) you’d know when there was a homerun because of all the cheers that pierced the air and straight through the synagogue's walls.

I only managed to get on the inside of Fenway Park once, but I'll never forget it because it was the most fun I ever had at a baseball game. There's something really special about a classic stadium like Fenway. It has so much more character than the massive modern ones with stupid sponsored names (U.S. Cellular Field! Minute Maid Park!) that seem to be the trend. Because it’s an old-fashioned stadium, it's smaller, so no matter where you sit you feel like you’re in on the action. And there’s all this great energy and camaraderie among the fans, you can't help but get charged up and excited.

That's the one thing I wished was different about both this win and the one in 2004. I think it would have been incredible to win the series at home, with all the fans in Fenway going wild and turning the night into a huge crazy party. Talk about an awesome sight. But the team was too hot to lose the games required to get back there, and it was fun anyway. I watched with my brother on his huge HD flat screen, and my father, who happened to be in town that weekend on business…the only other two Red Sox fans I know (considering on whose turf I've been living these past eight years, and that most of my friends, who are female, find it highly amusing that I’m into sports at all). We relished every minute of it.

I think it was a real dream team this year, all these amazing rookies and vets. I never got tired of watching them. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be Jon Papelbon, all the way. Not only is he the insanely good pitcher that clinched the series, but how can you not like a guy that does a riverdance in his...well--

(and I know many of you have seen this, possibly numerous times, but I just can't help myself)



He mentioned he wanted to be on Dancing With the Stars. ABC, are you listening? I would sooo watch that!

Well I guess I'm done here. Now I have to find my Red Sox hat. It’s gloating time, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Literature blogs