Forever Enchanted

A blog by Kayla - dreamer, writer, wannabe novelist

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Only on Forever Enchanted

Time for another Enchantia post, but this is one of a different sort, because should the book get published you'll never see it. It's only for you exclusive people that read this (and you are a very exclusive bunch). Consider it like one of those bonus features you get on a dvd...

I bet you are wondering how that could be, that I was playing a game that felt so real I could see the Royal Pixies or the mystifying Queen Bea telling us to rescue her stolen unicorns. To prove this to you let me ask you this- when I described Queen Bea speaking, could you see her? And if that is so, that all you need to see her are a couple of words on a page which you read while sitting comfortably on a couch or easy-chair, then you can surely imagine how Megan and I could make ourselves see such things out in The Woods, when we had nothing but our overactive imaginations to feed off of.

I could do a lot of these types of posts because I have cut sooo much out, but I will spare you, as there's usually a good reason why I don't want it in the book. As for this one, I was inspired by a style from a book I read in college called The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. In the middle of telling the story he often breaks off and talks to the reader, and I really liked that. But it just didn't work in my case- felt like it broke the flow, the voice didn't sound quite right, and the narrator was explaining too much when the story should speak for itself. So I chopped it. Yet for a while I liked it, and it's one of the themes I explore in the book, so I'm glad I could share it with you here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Literature blogs